IWC INAUGURATES ITS NEW MANUFAKTURZENTRUM
Completed in just 21 months, IWC's new Manufakturzentrum sits on the outskirts of the Swiss town of Schaffhausen. Even as you approach the building, it becomes clear that the watch manufacturer has raised a monument – both literally and figuratively – in a year that also coincides with the company's 150th anniversary. The glass façade with its black frames stands in stark contrast to the white, flat roofs that extend beyond the façade.
The imposing, 9-metre high entrance lobby affords direct access to the movement-component production workshop. This is where around 1500 components are produced such as bottom plates, bridges and oscillating weights, as well as small components including switching levers, springs and latching elements. The transition from movement-component production to movement assembly is seamless. While the production of the movement components is largely automated, assembling the manufacture movements is a delicate operation that must be performed by hand. It is beyond the capabilities of any machine to piece together the complex mechanism and bring it to life. The basement of the Manufakturzentrum houses the case production department.